Re: Wind Turbine Foundations

The following guideline may help in designing a wind turbine foundation.

First try designing a circular or octagonal mat footing.  This should
comply to the following equations:

		e = M/W

		F.S. = R/e

  where    M = Overturning moment.
	   R = Radius of footing.
	   W = Vertical load + weight of footing + overburden.
	  F.S. = Factor of Safety against overturning.

This will allow you to find the minimum foundation consistent with
safety against overturning.

Check soil stress.

If soil stresses are more than allowable you need a larger foundation
and rock anchors will not help.

If soil stresses are much less than allowable you can use rock anchors
to reduce the foundation size and maintain the desired factor of safety
against overturning.  This will also have the effect of increasing soil
stress.

The use of rock anchors is a cost optimization.

The above equations are valid with rock anchors providing the
stabilizing effect of the rock anchors being mobilized is properly taken
into account.

				Regards,

				H. D. Richardson, P.Eng
				Calgary