Re: lead based paint removal

The most-used methods for lead paint abatement in California are chemical
stripping, grinding, neadle gun, and wet shot blasting.  Each has its
best application, and often more than one method is used on a job.  Sand
blasting is never used as that would entail extreme measures of
dust-tight enclosures and personal protection for the abatement workers
(silica dust is also a hazardous material).

As CalOSHA is written, any detectable amount of lead to be disturbed
(cutting, drilling, grinding, scraping, burning, welding, etc.) requires
the contractor to write a Lead Work Plan, covering the specifics of the
job, the names of participants, documentation of their training (also a
requirement), specific methods to be used, and air monitoring to be
performed.  The Work Plan is a requirement even if the anticipated
exposure is zero, and must be written anew for each job.  The allowable
personnel exposure limits are very small.  All personnel doing such work
must have a baseline physical with lead screening (blood test), and the
blood test must be repeated annually along with refresher training.  In
my projects dealing with structural upgrades, less than one in ten Lead
Work Plans are written properly the first time, a symptom of an industry
rife with sloppy construction practices, consultants with insuficient
knowledge, and customers who don't know the difference.

Russ Nester
rnester(--nospam--at)juno.com

_