RE: copyright

Unfortunately, as we all know, the advent of Cad and the proliferation of the internet to allow us to transfer drawing files and details electronically.

When my firm first started, we were trying to be as accomodating as possible, just trying to get work; so we would email the structural files to the architect for them to presumably "plot out"...

Anyway, these two "friends" of mine who own an architectural firm typically "re-used" cad structural detail sheets of mine on other "similar" projects (and sometimes altered the details more to their liking!!!!) unknown to me.

(This was all done to avoid paying me for enginerring on the subsequent projects, of course)

Anyway, I found out about this practice later on either during the shop drawing phase or when they needed help and/or calculations to obtain permits.

To say the least, I was pissed.

My office now does not send files electronically to anyone, under any circumstances.

On a more positive note...the "first class" architectural firms i work for now (thankfully) never even sneeze without consulting us...

So there are good ones out there...

David L. Fisher, SE,PE
Senior Principal
Fisher+Horos Structural Engineers