RE: copyright

Looks like there a market for electronically sealing Cad drawings so that they can only be read and not copied.  That way, whatever is "published" can't be modified, and fine print can be added to the drawing that limits it use, say to a particular job, etc.

------Original Message------
From: "David Fisher" <dfisher(--nospam--at)fplushse.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: December 8, 2000 12:49:12 PM GMT
Subject: RE: copyright

Unfortunately, as we all know, the advent of Cad and the proliferation of
the internet to allow us to transfer drawing files and details
electronically.

When my firm first started, we were trying to be as accomodating as
possible, just trying to get work; so we would email the structural files to
the architect for them to presumably "plot out"...

Anyway, these two "friends" of mine who own an architectural firm typically
"re-used" cad structural detail sheets of mine on other "similar" projects
(and sometimes altered the details more to their liking!!!!) unknown to me.

(This was all done to avoid paying me for enginerring on the subsequent
projects, of course)

Anyway, I found out about this practice later on either during the shop
drawing phase or when they needed help and/or calculations to obtain
permits.

To say the least, I was pissed.

My office now does not send files electronically to anyone, under any
circumstances.

On a more positive note...the "first class" architectural firms i work for
now (thankfully) never even sneeze without consulting us...

So there are good ones out there...

David L. Fisher, SE,PE
Senior Principal
Fisher+Horos Structural Engineers