RE: Truss bracing

Mark,

One important point to consider is the compression web members that are attached to the tension chord.  These web members are normally designed as pinned ended and K=1.0.  Unless the tension chord has the strength and stiffness to provide the out-of-plane restraint required for the K=1.0 effective length factor, then bracing is to be provided for that function.  So in effect, one is not bracing the tension chord, but the compression web members.

Curt La Count
Jacobs Engineering
Portland, OR

All good input from you folks, thanks. My gut tells me not to say "it's a
tension member, it doesn't need bracing". Would you agree?

Mark