Re: Vertical Shafts

Try the following:

Design as a compression ring, with 15% - 50% differential loading between orthogonal loads (100 EW, say 80%NS) to trigger accidental moment, or tension/compression struts in your case.
For the variable lateral load per depth, see
(1.) Your friendly geotechnical engineer.
(2.) NAVFAC /w input from geotech eng.

Finally, check out Net for prefab systems.  One I've seen, but have never used, is American Commertial Inc.  ( www.americancommercial.com ).

Let me know what you end up doing.  I would be very interested.

Regards,
edward arrington

>>> Stanley_P_Johnson(--nospam--at)dot.ca.gov 12/08/00 10:34AM >>>
I have been asked to participate in a team working on a system for
dewatering a hillside.  The dewatering system will include a fairly large
(perhaps 20 foot dia and a few hundred feet deep) vertical shaft.  The
structural system for the shaft is to be circular lattice girders plus
shotcrete.  I am looking for reference books and design guidelines for this
type of structural system.

thanks
Stan Johnson, PE
Of course, if there is no electricity to run the pumps then we're sunk  : )