Re: Truss bracing

Very good point. Thank you for making me think like an engineer.

Mark

----- Original Message -----
From: Curt LaCount <Curt.LaCount(--nospam--at)jacobs.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2000 1:41 PM
Subject: RE: Truss bracing

> Mark,
>
> One important point to consider is the compression web members that are
attached to the tension chord.  These web members are normally designed as
pinned ended and K=1.0.  Unless the tension chord has the strength and
stiffness to provide the out-of-plane restraint required for the K=1.0
effective length factor, then bracing is to be provided for that function.
So in effect, one is not bracing the tension chord, but the compression web
members.