Re: Drilled Piers

I've worked with 9'-0" diameter drilled piers to rock, about 30'-40' long
on an industrial project in Tennessee. There are some contractors who have
the equipment to regularly do this size pier. Make sure the contractor
chosen has done this size before and actually has the necessary equipment!

Laura H. Watson, P.E.

----------
> From: Jason Kilgore <jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com>
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: Drilled Piers
> Date: Friday, December 08, 2000 3:15 PM
>
> I'm working on a project in the Kansas City area that will utilize
drilled
> piers.
> Based on the loads and soil conditions (soft clay over bedrock), we're
> looking at using 9'-0" diam. x 35' long piers in some locations.
Including
> the cap, this is over 100 yd^3 of concrete per pier!
>
> I've never worked with piers larger than 6'-0" before, so I don't even
know
> if they make an auger this big.  Anyone have any experience with this?
>
> I'm not the head guy on this -- I'm just helping another engineer out.
I'm