From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2000 3:15 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Steel column flange damage repair

Paul Ransom wrote:

. > It seems that there are techniques which don't require the use of a
. > hydraulic jack.

Paul,

First of all, I have no connection with the Coalition of Structural
Engineers.

It seems to me that the use of a hydraulic jack is just a means of
accelerating the straightening of the flange using flame straightening.  It
is much the same as using gravity to help induce camber in a beam --- you
have the beam in an inverted position and heat the top flange, and gravity
helps produce a downward deflection as the beam cools.  The same thing could
be accomplished with the beam horizontal on rollers, but it would take much
longer.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

P.S.  Regarding someone else's comment about not using a cutting tip to heat
the beam:  If someone did not know the difference between a cutting tip and
heating tip on a torch, he/she is not experienced in flame straightening and
should not be permitted near the deformed beam except as an observer.