Which way is up? (North arrows)

I'm curious as to whether there is any "consensus" in how to handle north
arrows when north is shown other than "up" on a plan sheet. For example for
a long rectangular structure, it is often more convenient to draw the
structure with the north arrow shown either to the right or to the left - is
there a preferred direction? On some projects, the structure is skewed up to
45 degrees rather than orthogonal to north - how do you handle showing
"north" for such structures? Occasionally I have seen drawings with the
north arrow shown "down" on a plan sheet - what basis would there be to show
north down? (It seems contrary to intuition since most maps are drawn with
north "up".)

Also, has anyone encountered problems on projects where different sheets for
the same structure show north oriented differently? (e.g., mechanical sheets
with north to left and structural sheets with north to right - problems such
as mechanical or structural elements field located in the wrong place due to
confusion in direction.)

William C. Sherman
Camp Dresser & McKee, Inc.
Denver, CO