Re: Mill tests

> Although I have always required 1-1/2-inch "nominal diameter" pipe (1.900"
> OD) for pipe railings, an NAAMM publication claims that OSHA requirements
> have been clarified to mean "that the outside diameter shall not be less
> than 1-1/2-inches - thus a 1-1/4-inch IPS pipe having an actual outside
> diameter of 1.66-inches meets this requirement." And the ASTM standard
> for metal railing systems (ASTM E985) states that the hand-grip "shall not
> be less than 1-1/4-inches nor more than 2-inches in outside diameter".
Thus
> it appears that 1-1/4-inch diameter pipe is accepted in the industry
despite
> its apparent inconsistency with a literal reading of the wording in OSHA.
>
> Mark  Jones wrote:
> In the case of handrails, this is moot because OSHA requires 1 1/2" nom.
> railings.
>
> "29 CFR 1910.23(e)(3)(ii)
> (e)(3)(ii)
> For pipe railings, posts and top and intermediate railings shall be at
> least 1 1/2 inches nominal diameter with posts spaced not

The 1997 ICBO UBC (1003.3.3.6) and the 1999 BOCA NBC (1022.2.4)
are even more lienient than the ASTM E985 shown above.  They each
allow 1.25" *outside* diameter pipe rails.  Who controls? A Pipe 1" std.
would meet the UBC regulations with a 1.315 outside diameter but not the
OSHA regulations.  Should this be allowed to be built or not?

Who controls in a disagreement with a local building code and OSHA?
Can a local government allow construction that is less strict than OSHA?
Exactly how much authority does OSHA have?  I know they can inspect
and shut down a construction site, but can they control the finished
product?

----
Jason W. Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.