From: Jason Kilgore [mailto:jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2000 6:58 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Mill tests

> This is a question I've have dealt with for years and have resolved using
> the following simple logic.
> If you check the stress level of a cantilevered 1-1/4" std. pipe for a
> railing post using the 200# lateral force at the top using a 42" height,
you
> will overstress the pipe (fb=35.74 ksi).  A 1-1/2" std. pipe fb=25.77 ksi
> which is 73.6% of yield (Fy=35 ksi).  I use 1-1/2" pipe to avoid yielding
> the pipe.

That's what our office normally does, and is what started the whole thread.
The fabricator on a project, however, wanted to use A500 HSS 1.660"x 0.140 .
He provided a mill test certification indicating a yield of 63,000 psi for
the actual pipe to be used (minimum yield is 42,000 psi).

The HSS 1.660"x0.140 will work as far as stress is concerned.

----
Jason W. Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.
jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com