Re: Steel column flange damage repair

Thanks to all who responded.

The column flange was repaired as I had proposed, heat-straightening and
plate reinforcing. I know, it may be too much for those who believe
reinforcing was not necessary, but I did not feel comfortable leaving it
unreinforced. It was in such a critical location and the cost of repair was
almost nothing to the fabricator (he had to come back to the site to do some
missing welds anyway).

For those who were interested to know, the thickness of the flange was 7/16"
(W14X26) and the dent was about 3/8" at the tip and it died down within
about 2 inches above and below.

Regards,

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.
Los Angeles, CA

In a message dated 12/12/2000 7:27:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,