Internet Provider

Does anyone know of the good Internet provider?  I have AOL and sometime
after I logged on with netzero, which is a free Internet provider with banner
ads, AOL takes over the connection and causes netzero to crash. I use netzero
as my second Internet provider because sometime my kids and my wife is on AOL
which is the same account.  I am in Ventura, CA.  A friend mentioned that I
should use the local Internet provider.  Is it good to use the local Internet
provider?
Thanks for your comments.
Ed Latthitham S.E.