From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2000 3:29 PM
To: SEAOC Newsletter
Subject: RE: Apartment Building Collapse

>I have heard
>many numbers bantered about, but the current concept appears to be design
>codes and practice expect a 50 year service life for the structures we
>design.
Fifty years and then it collapses? Pull the other one.

My whole family (3 generations) are living in neighborhoods where all the
buildings are 50-100 years old. One brother has a place in San Francisco
that was built in the 1880's; the other has a converted barn in Wisconsin
that was built before World War I. The Empire State building went up in
1930; the Chrysler and Wooolworth buildings are older yet. I wouldn't
consider buying a house that wasn't 25 years old.

If the current concept allows for a 50 year service life, the current
concept has its head up its kilt.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw