RE: Apartment Building Collapse

>I believe that the extreme loads on structures (seismic,
>wind, snow) have a probability of non-exceedance of typically 50 years,
I'd say that would be interpreted that the absolute minimum life is
considered to be 50 years.

As a corrolary, most of the people I know who are involved in residential
construction have told me they wouldn't buy a house less than 15 years
old anyway. Minnesota has had some pretty serious problems ranging from
moisture accumulation and poor air quality to fancy coped structural
joints that wouldn't hold for various reasons, and in houses in the 300
grand+ price range. These may have service lives of around 50 years--some
needed rehab that cost more than a new house (keeping in mind that the
original cost included a lot, which wasn't replaced.)

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw