RE: Apartment Building Collapse

Actually, the statement should be interpreted that there is no absolute
minimum life of a building against natural events of a certain magnitude
(wind, seismic, etc).  For example, in the latest seismic codes, the
"design level event" has a 2% probability of exceedence in 50 years (if I
recall correctly).  While I am not that great at probability, I believe
that means that there is a 2% chance in the next 50 years that a seismic
event will exceed that level...which translates into a recurrance period
of about 2500 years (that is a seismic event of that magnitude would occur
on average ever 2500 years).  It could so happen that it is "about that
time" (ie we have reached that 2500 year average), and then low and behold
a 1 day old building is subjected to a seismic event beyond the design
level and collapses.

Scott