re: P-delta effects

ON 12/13 - Ghassem Khosrownia wrote:

"I am looking at FEMA 302 requirements for P-Delta analysis and somehow it is
not making sense to me. Section 5.3.7.2 states that when the stability
factor of a structure is below 0.1, then P-delta effects may be ignored.
Same section places an upper limit on stability factor of 0.25. However, if
beta is taken conservatively as 1.0, as suggested, and Deflection
Magnification Factor of 5 is used for Special Concentric Braced Frames, then
the upper limit is computed to 0.10. Does this mean that if SCBF is used"

Ghassem - that is exactly what it means.  P-delta effects are normally
significant only for flexible structures like moment frames, not braced frames
or shear wall structures.