Re: definition

so what's a good way to answer when someone asks me, "You're a structural engineer, is this building structurally sound?"  it always seems like i'm walking into a trap when someone asks me this.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2000 4:27 PM
Subject: FW: definition

It all depends on who is giving the deficinition.  For that matter, what is the definitive meaning of the term "safe"?  That a building will never, ever fall down under any circustances?  Or that it has  a .5%, 1%, 5% etc. annual probability of collapse?  Safe, structurally sound, adequate are all necessarily relative comparative terms.

For what it is worth.

T. Eric R. Gillham PE
PO Box 3207 Agana Guam 96932
Ph:   (671) 477-9224