Re: Dynamic drift calculations (1998 CBC/1997 UBC)

1. All drift calculations are at "Strength" level.  You must leave the
1.4 factor in.

2. My response is an opinion here - no code section to back it up.  I
would reduce the load to the appropriate level (80%,90%,100% etc.)
before deflection.  My interpretation is that we design for "design
level" forces.  So calculate Delta S with design level forces, then
magnify by 0.7R to get delta M.  Then divide by 1.4 to get to WSD.  If
you are doing dynamic design note two other things: first, you must
design for forces in both the X and Y axis simultaneously.  You can use
the SRSS method or 100% in one direction and (I think?) 40% in the
other.  Secondly,  if you are using concrete shearwalls you are only
allowed to assume 50% of Ig for stiffness (see concrete shearwall
section) when calculating deflection.  This can have a huge impact on
secondary moments.

3. Opinion again here - I would say include and move on.  It's not
likely to make a difference on most typical buildings for deflection and
no one will question you.  If it makes a difference it might be worth a
call to one of the code Gods at ICBO to find out.

Hope this helps.

Jake Watson, E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT

--