Bridge Testing in US

Could someone please help me with the following questions:

Is it necessary in US to test a bridge after it has been built and before it goes into service?
If the answer is yes, is the specification of bridge testing defined in some code and which one?

I need this information in order to compare it with the regulations on this subject in my country
which are undergoing a lot of changes recently.

Thank you very much in advance.

Jelena Bleiziffer
Croatian Institute for Bridge and Structural Engineering