From: "Gerard Madden" <GMadden(--nospam--at)mplusl.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: "Read Only" AutoCad files
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:00:37 -0800

Peeran S,

It wasn't my problem actually, but I'm sure everyon appreciates your input.

The problem with the method you described is that it prohibits the use of lineweights when printing. The problem establishing the cad file as a bitmap, tiff, etc... is that it will give you the image as it appears on the monitor (Colors, lines, and fonts) but it will not plot like a regular plot in autocad where the thickness of the line is based upon the color of the line. This may also be true using the Adobe Acrobat as well. If the client wants to plot just like he/she was standing in your office, the lineweights will likely be wrong using image files unless they are scanned from a printed out sheet.

Maybe this works in ACAD 2000 where the lineweights can be by entity instead of by color. My impression of the use of this method is that it is very difficult to discern between two linetypes of a close thickness on screen. Is anyone using this feature in ACAD 2000 other than Architects. It would also seemed to render any standard cad files developed in ACAD 14 or earlier useless since all of the lineweight properties are no longer valid.

Gerard Madden, P.E.
Civil Engineer

Middlebrook + Louie, Structural Engineers
71 Stevenson Street, Suite 2100
San Francisco, CA 94105
Tel: 415.546.4900
Fax: 415.974.3680