LRFD and the "Special Seismic Load Combos"

Those of you who are currently designing (comfortably) with LRFD:

I'm just getting my feet wet with this method and would appreciate some
guidance.  Regarding the Special Seismic Load Combinations (U.B.C. Section
1612.4), are there any special resistance factors that can be used to
"increase" the nominal strength of the member or connection that you are
designing for these load combinations?  The answer is probably in the
specification somewhere and I'm just missing it.  It doesn't sound right to
be able to "increase" the strength of a member/connection, but the special
load combinations can give you huge results compared with the standard load
combinations.

I apologize if this is a "bonehead" question in the world of LRFD, but I'd
appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Dave K. Adams, P.E.
Lane Engineers, Inc.
PH: (559) 688-5263
E-mail: davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com