From: "Gerard Madden" <GMadden(--nospam--at)mplusl.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: "Read Only" AutoCad files
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:36:51 -0800

Peeran S,

Yes this is a solution, but it is costly and time consuming (Plotting then scanning).

I think if the goal is to simply view and print the recipient either needs a viewer or an image file However, if say they are printing it out for distribution to sub contractors, I think lineweights are critical to establish the true intent of the engineer (without any hanging/dimpled chads ! )

I think the original post was asking how/ways to allow someone to view a .dwg file without being able to edit it. I know of no way to do this other than using Bind. Bind makes things difficult to work with, but it only takes patience to alter any cad file to some desired final product even if the source file was bound in ACAD.

A good tool for autocad to develop would be a "Password to modify" save option like in Microsoft Word.

-Gerard

Gerard Madden, P.E.
Civil Engineer

Middlebrook + Louie, Structural Engineers
71 Stevenson Street, Suite 2100
San Francisco, CA 94105
Tel: 415.546.4900
Fax: 415.974.3680