Re: "Read Only" AutoCad files

Gerard:

I believe that the line weight shoulds be correct in Adobe Acrobat.  I
will not that I have never exported a CAD file (either MicroStation or
AutoCAD) to an Acrobat format, but considering the "mechanism(s)" used to
create the Acrobat file, I would believe that the line weights would be
included.  Basically, there are two ways to "create" Acrobat files,
assuming that the Adobe Acrobat software is being used (there are
freeware/shareware programs that can create PDF files).  The first method
is to use the Acrobat "print driver" and the second is to use Distiller
(part of the Acrobat package).  I will speak to using Distiller, since I
know the "full mechanism".

To create a PDF using Distiller (and many of those freeware/shareware
programs), one first must "print/save" to a PostScript file using a
PostScript printer driver.  This would include many (if not most) of the
laser printer drivers that most companies will use (ie many of the
LaserJets out there are PostScript printers).  The PostScript file is then
"run" through Distiller to create the PDF (Distiller converts PostScript
to PDF).  Therefore, IF your office has a PostScript printer that you use
for "quick" plots (8 1/2x11 or 11x17) and you already have a pen table
setup for that laserprinter (and some plotters can do PostScript...in fact
most of the smaller office type plotters, including the DesignJet series
from HP, can do PostScript), then creating your PDFs in this method will
provide the correct line weights (after all if the laser printer has a
correct pen table, then the quick plot will have the correct line
weights).

I would believe that the PDFWriter (the PDF print driver) would product
the same result...because I believe that PDFWriter internally does the
step of make a PostScript version then converting to a PDF.  I am sure
others can comment. (Dennis?)

Hope that helps,

Scott