Re: masonry infill walls as lateral bracing in a low rise steel framebuilding

There was a seminar conducted by the Structural Engineers Association of Southern California sometime in  1997 talked about all this issues using existing unreinforced masonry infill walls as the lateral bracing for concrete or steel frame buildings. The basic ideal is to use finite element analysis to determine the so called equivalent compression strut as the lateral bracing which models the secant stiffness at anticipated displacement. You can call SEAOSC office at 562-908-6131and maybe even ask to talk to the chairs of existing buildings committee or nondoctile concrete building subcommittee.
>>> KHyndman(--nospam--at)engineeringsi.com 11/27 10:22 AM >>>
	I'll looking for a design guide, tech notes, etc. for the use of
masonry infill walls as lateral bracing in a low rise steel frame
building. I have already have spoken to The Masonry Society, the NCMA,
the CMACN, and any number of structural engineers. Everyone seems to
know it is possible, but nothing on paper to back it up. Specifically I
need some workable details for reinforcing and connections to the steel
beam and columns.

	Thanks

	Keith Hyndman
	ESI