Coordinate Geometry Software

I'm looking for a good general purpose 3D coordinate geometry software
program for general engineering calculations. Something simple that just
runs under Windows rather than AutoCAD or Microstation. I don't really need
a survey program. Any recommendations?

Also, does anybody know a current math reference where I can find a formula
for calculating the closest distance between two lines. I'm working on a
tieback wall with an angle in it and need to check for possible interference
in the cables. I've looked in a couple of references for analytic geometry
and had no luck. Somebody out there who knows how close we just came to
getting hit by a comet must know where I can find the answer.