RE: Design of Top Plates

For joist construction:  A rim joist is typically a member the same size as
the joist,  which is placed on the end of the joists, flush with the outer
face of the top plate.   For example, if the joists are 2x10's, the rim
joist will be a 2x10.  The rim joist will be located on the top plate and
nailed to end of each joist.   If you look at multilevel wood construction
in the framing stage, you will see a wide member at each floor level.  This
is the rim joist.  When constructed in this manner, this member will
distribute the joist load to the studs.

Truss construction may not work like this.

Ed Haninger
Fluor Daniel

"Speck, Todd M" <tmspeck(--nospam--at)pbsj.com> on 12/28/2000 11:05:29 AM