RE: bridge crane runway beams

Typically one-half Iy is assumed to resist the lateral load (i.e., only the
top flange). If that does not work, it would be appropriate to weld a
channel cap on top of the wide flange to increase the lateral stiffness -
lateral strength/stiffness for such lateral loads is the primary purpose of
such channel caps you have seen in the past. A channel cap seems very
appropriate here given the long span you are dealing with. The crane trolley
can induce lateral forces on the runway due to lateral movement on the crane
bridge beam when under load, so some lateral stiffness is desirable to
maintain the track alignment.