Re: Design of Top Plates

Unless the joists perpendicular to the rim joists is carefully detailed to make
the joists supported by the rim joist with hangers, I doubt you will get such a
nice job done. At most, you will get a couple of end nails through the rim
joist to the regular joist. When it is the case, the floor loads still rest onto the
top plates.
Aligning the floor joists with the studs below is still the simplest way to go!
Chris Tse
Sunnyvale