RE: construction joint spacing for SOG

One of the best industrial flooring specialty firms is Kalman Flooring
Company in Evergreen, CO
http://www.afsonl.com/products/03000/03000/03050.kalman.010.a0.html.  They
use shrinkage compensating concrete and many other details and features that
mitigate cracking.  I have designed my own floors and I have used Kalman.
If I can put control joints in at 15' to 30', I will design my own
(including: monitoring QC, and special inspection).  If the control joint
spacing is 100', I will use Kalman or post tension the slab on grade.

I never use thickened edges, because they act like anchors as the concrete
shrinks.  I prefer using greased square dowels with PNA (800-542-0214)
Expando-Lok Clips.  Joints in heavy traffic areas should be armored with PNA
steel bar armored joints.

Any saw cut joints should be cut with an early-entry dry-cut system such as
the Soff-Cut (909-272-2330) saw.  Regular saw cut joints will be put in too
late to do any good.

Keep in mind that from edge to edge a concrete slab will try to shrink to
the center.  Provide a positive slip plane, and eliminate restraints like
turned down edges, dock leveler pits, and column base turn downs.

I would recommend that you read "Shrinkage & Curling of Slabs on Grade",
Robert Ytterberg, April, May, June 1987, Concrete International.  It is
available from Kalman Floor Company.  You might also check out the Concrete
Floor Contractors Association of Ontario http://www.cfcao.com/technic.htm.

Steel fibers can be effective, but they are very dependent on the
contractor's (concrete supplier, finisher, etc.) ability.  They are not a
cure all.

Speaking of cure, do the wet cure.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague