Re: construction joint spacing for SOG

Speaking fundamentally and without specialty in high tech SOG's:

For a 6" slab, using F=1.5 (as per general rec.) and fs =30,000 psi allowable
rebar stress, #3@12 allow for an L=59 ft. According to the subgrade theory
then, this is the amount of rebar required to keep shrinkage cracks small and
tight (not prevent them) in a slab with construction joint spacing at about
60 ft. apart. The #3 would stop at the construction joints, where smooth
dowel bars would be used so as to allow shear transfer without in-plane
shrinkage restraint of the slab. Note that this amount of rebar gives 0.15%
reinf ratio, which is comfortably in excess of the 0.10% sometimes
recommended as required minimum rebar in a SOG. If small, tight cracks are
not objectionable then, I don't see that control joints are needed in between
these construction joints.

If small, tight cracks are not OK because they are visible or may degrade
with use, then control joints (with depth at least 1/4 slab thickness), which
act as stress risers, should be added with the purpose to force the shrinkage
crack locations to be at the control joints. For the 6" slab, with 3/4" and
larger aggregate, the spacing of the control joints would be 15 ft. apart
according to info in the PCA "Concrete floors on Ground". BUT I am not sure
if it is really necessary, at added expense, to stop the #3 rebar at each
control joint and provide a smooth dowel bar. With control joints at this
relatively close spacing, will not the shrinkage cracks still form in the
joint even though the #3 continues through the slab at these locations ? What
does experience show ? I agree that it is conservative to stop the slab rebar
at control joints, and add a smooth dowel bar, and I agree that this may
increase the chances of shrinkage cracks forming at control joint locations.
But it would seem that the restrained shrinkage forces are so large that the
presence of a #3@12 in the middle of the slab has little effect in altering
shrinkage crack location for relative close control joint spacings as
determined from the long standing criteria (joint spacing in ft = 2 to 3
times the slab thickness, depending on agg size and concrete slump). Again,
what's the experience ?