From: Gunnar Hafsteinn Isleifsson <gunnarhi(--nospam--at)post4.tele.dk>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 11:16 PM
Subject: Soil-Structure Interaction

> Hi
>
> I have a sort of a geotechnical question:
>
> A steel structure stands on a thick concrete slab, which in turn stands on
pile footings. When evaluating lateral seismic forces acting on the piles,
do I include the weight of the slab, or does it just "move with the ground"
as an integral part of it.

> My first impression is that one has to include the weight of the slab,
when determining the base shear at the top of the piles, because that
although the slab will also be ground supported (cast on ground), any soil
settlement will cause the slab to rest solely on the piles, and then one
can't rely on any friction (sliding resistance) between the slab and the
ground.

> Our client wants to know if anything can be done to exclude the slab
weight, since it has great effect on the pile foundation costs. Geotechnical
investigations have not been undertaken yet, apart from some rough
estimates, so I don't know if any liquefaction potential exists on the site.