From: "Lutz, James" <JLUTZ(--nospam--at)earthtech.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: construction joint spacing for SOG
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 08:53:01 -0800

I have always been a little wary of the subgrade drag approach, but there
isn't much else to hang your hat on. Your F factor should probably be pretty
generous to account for the restraint created by the thickened edges, and
you can set your fs low, but sometimes adding more steel just aggravates the
cracking problem, since it creates more resistance against the shrinking
concrete. A good guide on the interrelationship between reinforcement
levels, member thickness, and concrete tension stress levels is contained in
PCA's circular on the design of circular R/C tanks.

I would put a double layer of polyethylene sheeting under your slab as a
slip sheet and reconsider those thickened joints. I would use formed rather
than sawn joints and start your pours from the center of the building and
work out--the idea being to give each pour the best chance of relieving its
thermal shrinkage as possible before the next pour, and minimizing restraint
on the greenest side of the joint.

I would also insist on a very well controlled wet curing process, do
everything you can to keep the concrete cool and the heat of hydration down
(lower f'c and less cement, Type II cement). You could consider a
post-tensioned slab if cracking is extremely critical, but I don't know if
that is feasible in your situation.

I don't know how effective steel fiber will be. I would expect it to be
pretty helpful from the perspective of very good distribution, but have no
direct experience. Plastic fibers will not prevent shrinkage cracks,
although they may mitigate their size.