Can states repeal building codes?

Of course states (and other jurisdictions) can repeal building codes.
It's done all the time.  If a state or other jurisdiction can adopt a
building code, it has to repeal the previous building code first, or else
there will be multiple building codes in effect at the same time.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Dennis Wish wrote:

>>Some time ago we had a discussion which suggested the engineering community
support a measure that would require state officials to repeal the building
code and return it to the previous 94 UBC provision until which time the
problems in the current code could be resolved. The opinions expressed
indicated that it was not possible to repeal a building code, however, I
recently came upon the following Detroit News article from November 29, 1995
that discusses the debate from lawmakers to repeal a recently enacted
building code that was aimed at "slashing homeowner's energy bills". The
article can be referenced at  http://detnews.com/menu/stories/26572.htm for
those interested.

While I was unable to find references to the outcome, it appears that
repealing of a state code is not an impossible act. I thought this article
would be of interest to some of you and have passed it on for information
only.<<