Chords *not* in or tangent to diaphragm plane

Greetings:

Has anyone dealt with Section 2315A.5.2 of the California Building Code
where special review of certain buildings is required when chords are
located greater than 14" away from the plane of the diaphragm?  If so, what
approach have you taken to satisfy D.S.A. plan reviewers (reference quotes
would be helpful)?  I'm working on the design of a new building that hasn't
been submitted for review yet and want to make sure my bases are covered.
We've got 18" deep roof joists which pushes the wall top plates beyond the
14" limit.

TIA,
Dave K. Adams, P.E.
Lane Engineers, Inc.
PH: (559) 688-5263
E-mail: davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com