Re: Ledger

John
This appear to be a one hour construction through out with sprinklers to
allow four story wood framed construction.  One thing you may point out,
that the UBC interpretive manual allows the use of solid lumber in joints
at wall and floor intersections to specifically deal with the integrity of
the joint.  A one hour joint can be constructed from a 3- 2x solid block
and a two hour joint can be constructed out of 4-2x solid block at the
joint.  The Building will be required to have a one hour floor ceiling
assembly and there by having the required protection within the fire
envoelope.  I hope this help.  If I read the building official concerns
correctly, this will solve the problem. then a ledger attachment should not
be an issue when the joint is compsed of solid lumber to provide equivalent
fire protection.  Hope this help.
Samir Y. Ghosn, P.E.
Harris & Associates