RE: retrofitting of towers

In addition to Neil's comments.

If you are replacing horizontal or diagonal members, you will have to
provide bracing support of the legs while you are replacing the diagonals or
horizontals.  This is done with a device called a saddle clamp.  The lack of
a saddle clamp or their misuse has caused several tower collapses during
retrofits.  Also, many towers (like the Andrew / Grasis towers) are designed
using A449 bolts which  do not have installation requirements like A325
bolts.  A449 bolts are only used in bearing connections, and should be
tightened to snug tight.

Most telecom towers are hot dip galvanized, this can add some complications
for welding.  It does not preclude welding, but it does complicate the
process.  As will the distortion caused by the welding process.  Distortion
will be more of a problem on the cold formed members of a tower.

If the tower manufacturer is still in business, I would run your retrofit
plan by them.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague