Re: Soil-Structure Interaction

As a first order approach, the weight of the slab may be ignored as long
as top of slab is used as the embedment surface.  Remember that the slab
density is not much more than the soil density.  What the slab may do,
particularly if it is continuous, is "slave" the piles at the surface to
move in phase, and at the same limear displacements.

That said, however, a large and thick slab will alter the seismic motions
at the site.  For critical applications (specified performance, vibration
isolation, base isolation, etc.), additional analyses may be in order.
For less critical applications, simplified analyses may suffice.

Include in your geotechnical budget some time for a design consultation
with the GE (following the full site investigation).  A few hours
consultation may save you hundreds of hours of unnecessary numerical
modeling and soil-structure analyses.

Russ Nester, SE, GE