RE: Soil-Structure Interaction

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]         Sorry Paul, I have to agree with Javier. (Could we have more comments on this?).  If the building is supported on the SOG and the SOG rests on piles, the columns loads are transfered to piles through the SOG, which now forms a part of the system.  (if this load could be taken by the soil, we'd have a raft here).  Now, you must include SOG load for pile calculations and also design it as suspended slab with column loads and pile supports.  Altrnately, you could support each column directly on pile groups and leave the disconnected SOG to settle on its own.
        Theoretically, you could model soil springs under the SOG, but its usually not much help in weak soils.

Masroor

From: Paul Crocker <paulc(--nospam--at)ckcps.com>
To: "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Soil-Structure Interaction

"Not only that, the slab itself has to be designed as if it was an elevated
slab (not a slab on grade)."

That is a matter to discuss with the soils engineer.  Some structures have
sufficiently larger column gravity loads to induce undesirable settlement
and require piles, but do not have problems with slab on grade settlement
due to the much lighter and more dispersed loads the s.o.g. presents.  In
others, the soil under the slab on grade will settle, too, but not so much
as to require a structural slab if some local cracking and uneveness can be
tolerated.  In much the same way, the degree to which the slab seismic loads
will go to the piles can also vary.  Check and see what kind of soil
condition you are dealing with, this will determine your course of action.

Paul Crocker