Copyright Infringement

I recently posted the standard steel shapes database to the
Structuralist.Net discussion forum. One of our members, who works for AISC,
wrote me privately to ask that I remove the database from the forum as he
believes it is an infringement of AISC's copyright.
I do not agree although I have removed AISC's name from the database so that
there is no implication that the physical properties of conventional steel
sections was obtained or "copied" from the AISC manuals. This, to the best
of my knowledge, was not the case as these are the physical properties of
non-proprietary shapes which can be calculated by conventional mathematical
methods and these numbers, in themselves, can not be protected by copyright.
What I have agreed to do is to change the name of the files to Standard or
Conventional Structural Steel Properties and remove any reference to the
American Institute of Steel Construction.
In my opinion, this is a counter productive concern of the AISC as the
purpose is to promote the use of structural steel standards. The use of the
numeric values for mathematical properties of common shapes is not an
infringement of any copyright nor will it harm the sales of the associations
manuals.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net
AEC-Residential Listservice
admin(--nospam--at)structuralist.net
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax
ICQ #95561393

discussion forums at"

subscription (always free). To subscribe send an e-mail to one of the
following addresses:

For Full Listservice:  	aec-residential-request(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc
For Digest Format:	aec-residential-digest-request(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc

To subscribe OR Unsubscribe - enter one of the following words in the body
of the message and send. Do not place information in the subject line as it
will be ignored.

subscribe

unsubscribe