Removal of the AISC Database

I received a call from Mr. Richard Todd of AISC this afternoon who was
responding to my post on the List regarding the shapes library that I posted
on the Structuralist.Net. Mr. Todd was very congenial on the issues and
explained to me that the physical properties of the standard steel sections
are provided to AISC directly from the Mills and are not made available to
the Public. AISC uses the information from the Mills to calculate the
section properties and publishes the information in the Steel Manual as well
as on a separate CD-Rom which is available for purchase for a reasonable
price of $60.00. You can obtain the CD-Rom from their website at:
https://www.aisc.org/publications/shop.asp?action=displayitem&show=one&id=28
7

(make sure that the entire URL address is on one line with no spaces or line
breaks. The address begins with http: and ends with &id=287)

Inasmuch as the properties can not be calculated without the information
provided by the mills, I am inclined to agree that the information is
proprietary and have agreed to remove the database from the download site.

The price of &60.00 for the complete database is not, in my opinion,
unreasonable (although free is always better).

My apologies to the AISC for posting the files and unknowingly violating
what becomes proprietary information. The files were found on the Internet
and appeared to represent the time consuming work of individuals who either
calculated the properties or recreated the database for their own use and
who later improperly made it available to the public.

Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net
AEC-Residential Listservice
admin(--nospam--at)structuralist.net

PS - Anyone know if the AITC has proprietary rights on the section
properties of wood members:) - just a little levity thrown in!