From: Khosrownia, Ghassem SPK [mailto:GKhosrownia(--nospam--at)spk.usace.army.mil]
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2001 12:50 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Copyright Infringement

Dennis, I agree that if one types in all the information from the hard copy
manual into a database of his/her own, using his/her own time and effort,
then he/she is the owner. But consider this scenario: The product is created
and sold for nominal price in the market. The buyer then renames or
otherwise changes it and then makes it available to everyone else free of
charge (or worst yet, starts selling it). I imagine the original creators of
the electronic information would be a bit unhappy about that - wouldn't you
be?

The question I have always had is what happens if I transpose the original
ASCII file into a random access file specifically for a program that knows
how to read it. What are my rights then? I do have many programs that do
this. My original motivation has been to prevent accidental changes of the
numbers. Once converted into random access then it can not be changed.

Ghassem.