RE: Copyright Infringement

Now, not to cause trouble (even though I am good at that), but I have a
question...

I have in my possession a "Structural Shapes" booklet from Bethlehem Steel
that contain section properties for steel shapes.  This booklet is
copyrighted by Bethlehem (as is the AISC manual, but copyrighted by AISC).
It just so happens that the Bethlehem section properties are EXACTLY the
same as the values in the AISC manual (I was using 9th edition ASD...I
would assume that the LRFD values are the same). [I will admit that I only
did a spot check of a W27x94]  Therefore, would it be possible to assume
that either AISC or Bethlehem violated someone else's copyright (or
purchased the rights)?

What happens is multiple sources produce identical "intellectual"
property?  Is it still copyright-able?  Who owns the copyright?

I am no lawyer, but I would think that the actual values of the section
properties are not copyright-able.  Let's examine a similar thread...there
have been discussions of the use of "standard" details.  Is a "standard"
detail copyright-able?  For example, is the "intellectual property" of a
double angle connection copyright-able?  I believe the intent is that I
cannot photo-copy and then "sticky-back" someone's drawn double angle
connection detail, but that using my own drawing skills, I can reproduce
the intent of the detail.  I would think that it would be similar for the
section property values in the AISC manual.  If I just make a copy of the
electronic version of AISC's database, then I am stealing from them.
However, if I take the time to enter in each value of each section
property into an electronic file from the AISC manual, is not that not the
same as recreating the intent using my own "resources".

I am not saying that I am correct...I certainly could be wrong, but...Any
thoughts?

Scott
Also not a lawyer, but someone with an inquisitive mind.