RE: Removal of the AISC Database

Lynn,
Sometimes you confuse me (said in a very friendly way). Over time, your
positions have been cautious and conservative. I clicked on your response
expecting you to disagree with the general consensus thus far. Shows how
wrong I can be - I've been batting below 100 since the start of the new
year.

Generally, I am left to act alone on issues such as this and, to be frank, I
don't have the resources to investigate the legal validity of Jim Todd's
letter.

I received an e-mail from another member of the list who very nicely
informed me of my precarious position. I disagreed with him and asked that
he or another at AISC provide me with justification that would convince me
to remove the files. This is when Jim called me. I also learned from another
that there were some tables which appeared to be copied directly from the
manual (to be honest, while I downloaded the files from the Internet, I did
not look at the files to verify what was on them as I do little if any steel
design). Having been informed of that this information exists on the files
adds credibility to the AISC claim and I am inclined to believe they have
the right to request it be removed.

When Jim Todd called this afternoon and we spoke candidly on the issues
(although at this time I still had not reviewed AISC1 and AISC2.Zip) - I
believe he was sincere. My decision to remove the files was based upon the
belief that the Internet is currently unstructured and that, as
professionals, we must act responsibly. At this point in time, it would be
counter-productive to a risk infringement of their rights. Indirectly, if we
intend for professional organizations to help in the creation of an on-line
reference library, we have to be willing to protect this information from
abuse. We can only do this if we hold the concept of respecting the
intellectual property rights above all else. This does not stop others from
violating one of the more important rules that we professionals rely upon -
the protection of our work. Similarly, we would do more harm to be
arrogantly defiant than to work through this issue slowing - by first
removing the objection. In time, if we pursue the issue and find that AISC
is incorrect, we can consider posting the files. Until then, we would be
causing harm to the potential need to make information accessible and free
over the Internet by trying the case in a discussion forum.

I know this sounds kind of convoluted, but I ask that you do not post the
files for download until which time that the proper course of legal
investigation be done. If AISC is wrong, no harm will come of correcting our
decision to remove the files. If we are wrong, then we have acted in good
faith to protect a concept that we all believe needs protection - our
intellectual property rights.

Thanks for the support - from all! I strongly suggest that those who wish to
pursue this do so to eliminate any question as to the legality of the
issues.

Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish, PE