Re: Removal of the AISC Database

Dennis-

I guess my point is that even if the stuff is under
copyright protection, AISC and other organizations
such as this should not stop the access of
information like this by others due to the nature of
their organization, which is supposed to promote the
use of steel.  Different organizations such as this
have different policies.

All these organizations have a right to produce
literature, software, etc., and charge a fee for
it.  And if someone just copied their product and
included as a part of something they were SELLING,
then they should have the right to claim copyright
infringement.

Where the line is drawn (in my mind anyway), and
where quite frankly their action gets offensive, is
when they try and stop the FREE access of this
information that will be used in the design of the
very product they are supposed to be promoting.

If I were running an organization like AISC, I would
try and put as much information out as possible for
FREE. That would include publications and software
alike.  ACI has some very nice software they put out
for the design of concrete.  They charge a normal
fee for their product.  If they put this out for
free, it would be used much more widely and better
promote the use of their product.

I know that the member companies would have to put
more money into into their organizations to make up
for the loss of revenue, but I think that they
should since they should benefit from the promotion
activities of these organizations.

Trus Joists actually writes software for use in the
design of their products and distributes it to
design engineers for free.  We use it all the time,
and specify their product all the time.  It is
easier to specify and design with their product than
with any other similar product, so we do just that.

I know that in reality these organizations need some
additional funds, and everything they put out cannot
be free.  But basic design information like this,
should not be the subject of copyright infringement
litigation when it is just being freely distributed
on the NET for general use by all in the design of
THEIR product.

Lynn