RE: Copyright Infringement

Jim Lutz wrote:

>>I got my first ACI 318 manual free--also long, long ago, when it was a whole
lot thinner. The point I was making was that once upon a time the
manufacturers and trade associations subsidized the distribution of some of
these design materials (at least to college students back in the 60's)as a
form of advertising and public service. The philosophy has changed. Some
material suppliers now charge you for catalogs they used to give away. PCA
used to give away design guides they charge you for now, mostly because the
cement industry doesn't subsidize them the way they used to.

I know you don't get something for nothing. My comments were more by way of
an observation on how material manufacturers have changed where they spend
their marketing dollars.<<

ACI also used to allow members one copy of *each* new standard free upon
returning a clipped coupon from the ACI Journal.  PCA used to provide
professionals with free copies of any of their publications in order to
facilitate the design of projects using concrete.  Sweets used to provide
free sets of their catalogs so that professionals would be able to have
product information at their fingertips.  ASTM used to allow members to have
three volumes of standards without cost, and a substantial discount for
additional copies.  AISC seems to stand alone in not having provided free
copies of their publications as a matter of practice.  The first AISC manual
I got was in college, (it was required for the structural steel design
course) and cost all of $4.50.  Except for one edition of the manual which
was distributed by the Arizona Steel Erectors Association, I had to buy all
the others.  U. S. Steel provided free copies of many valuable publications
including the 2 volume "Building Design Data" and "Highway Structure Design
Data" ring binder sets.  U. S. Steel, Bethlehem, and Armco provided free
shapes properties booklets.

The attitude of trade associations used to be, "Let us provide you with
information on our material so that you will specify it."  Now, it seems that
the attitude is, "If you want to use our material, we will sell you
information."

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona