From: Charlie Carter <carter(--nospam--at)aiscmail.com>
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org' <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Saturday, January 06, 2001 3:08 PM
Subject: RE: Copyright Infringement

Friends, Romans, countrymen, can't we all just get along? This thread continues to be blown way out of proportion. Assuming you'll permit me to explain some of the details that never seem to have made it into the general consciousness, here goes.

Dennis posted files that were created, copyrighted and sold by AISC for free download. I emailed him in a friendly and private manner so as not to make a mountain out of a molehill. At that time, I assumed he didn't know what he had done -- and in fact he didn't. At first, he disagreed with me, but subsequently agreed after my colleage Jim Todd took the time to show him exactly where those files he found somewhere else came from in the first place. And he removed the files.

Unfortunately, Dennis then "went public" on an issue that had already been resolved privately and without disagreement. A fair amount of the back and forth since seems to be very angry or insulting and without any understanding of the real story. My feeble attempt at a partially humorous and partially serious reply to a few of the more accusatory (and unfounded, I think) charges followed. And I guess it only succeeded in pushing us even further off course. I think it's time to bring this whole thing to an end. Heck, we're all acting like we have degrees in intellectual property law!

I hope you all look upon AISC as helping you in the course of your work, including through my personal participation in this list server. For my part, I'm going to keep a smile on my face and delete away as any more messages post. Well, unless someone says something that's really good (smile).

Respectfully (again),
Charlie