RE: Copyright Infringement

Charlie,

I do agree with you.  Since the information came from a direct electronic
copy from the database that AISC sells, I would at a minimum personally
believe that it would be a "moral" infringement of AISC's rights if not an
actual copyright violation.

If we were to "wax theoretical" though...if the files had been created by
Dennis painstakingly entering in the values for each member by hand, then
I would think that if AISC maintained the same position that it would be
much harder to defend (although it still could be a copyright violation,
even though I don't believe so).

If defense of AISC, I will point out that AISC _DOES_ provide documents
for no cost.  An excellent example is the AISC Seismic Provisions.  That
document is available in PDF form as are the several supplements to the
original document.  I am sure that there are many other documents
available from the web page that are free.

In addition, AISC is indirectly providing us with an excellent free
resource...your participation on the list.  While I am sure that your
"official" position of AISC, the responses are none the less a valuable
addition to the listserver.

Scott