Re: Copyright Infringement

Scott Maxwell wrote:

>>Actually, it should not even be necessary to "reverse engineer" (in the
purest sense of the phrase) section property values.  The
"confindentially" obtained fillet radius information can certainly be
obtained by actually measuring a member out in the field.  This is
certainly not a practical solution, I would say that it raises the
questions of whether or not the section properties values could even be
considered "intellectual property".<<

Why not just use the "k" dimension and flange thickness?

I remember when I first started in engineering, there wasn't a rolling mill
west of the Mississippi.  In order to take advantage of the high shipping
costs from the east, Kaiser set up a fabrication facility that constructed
wide flange members by welding plates together.  The dimensions of Kaiser's
shapes were the same as the dimensions of the rolled shapes, except for the
fillet weld between the flange and web, and the properties were the same as
the equivalent rolled shape.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona